Toenail Fungus In Norton, OH
How your podiatrist in Norton, OH, can help you get relief from toenail fungus
Toenail fungus can make you not want to take off your shoes. It’s embarrassing and uncomfortable. Fortunately, your podiatrist is an expert at toenail fungus treatment and can help you get rid of what’s infecting your toenails.
Dr. Jon D. Oliverio at Foot & Ankle Institute in Norton, OH, provides a wide range of foot care services, including treatment of toenail fungus.
The fungus that causes toenail fungus thrives in warm, moist areas like public pools, locker rooms, and gym facilities. One of the easiest ways to prevent toenail fungus is to make sure you wear flip-flops or sandals in public areas. Don’t go barefoot.
Toenail fungus starts out as a small yellow or white dot beneath your toenail. The spot grows as the fungus burrows further underneath your toenail. Eventually, your entire toenail will appear:
You might also notice a foul smell coming from your infected toe. There are a few easy remedies you can try, including:
- Trimming your toenail and thinning it to reduce nail pressure
- Applying over-the-counter antifungal cream underneath your toenail
For moderate to severe toenail fungus that doesn’t respond to home therapies, your podiatrist can help. These are a few of the professional treatments for toenail fungus available from your podiatrist:
- Prescription-strength oral antifungal medications
- Prescription-strength topical antifungal medications
- Removing the infected section of your toenail
- Removing the entire toenail to promote healthy growth
- Laser treatment to kill the underlying fungus infecting your toenail
Thanks to your podiatrist, you don't have to put up with the embarrassment of toenail fungus. You can get relief, and it starts with a simple phone call.
To learn more about the prevention and treatment of toenail fungus, call Dr. Jon D. Oliverio at Foot & Ankle Institute in Norton, OH. You can reach him in the office by calling 330-825-7878, so call now.